Text by Erica Dunn. Photo by Shutterstock via SeriousEats.com
Coffee is loaded with antioxidants and beneficial nutrients that can improve your health. The co-op has a wide variety of coffee bean available in the bulk section, my favorite being the pushcart espresso blend.
Here are 5 health benefits of coffee that will help you jump start 2017!
- Coffee is the biggest source of antioxidants in the western diet. Studies show that most people get more antioxidants from coffee than fruits and vegetables combined!
- Coffee may be protective against type 2 diabetes. Studies show that there is an inverse association that exists between coffee and type 2 diabetes
- Coffee and Parkinson’s disease – researchers in the US carried out a study that assessed the link between coffee consumption and Parkinson’s disease risk
- Coffee and liver cancer – Italian researchers found that coffee consumption lowers the risk of liver cancer by 40%
- Coffee and heart health – Drinking coffee in moderation is shown to protect heart health. Moderation meaning, two 8 ounce servings a day. In a recent study, people who drank 2 cups of coffee on a daily basis had 11% lower risk of heart failure.
Next time you visit the co-op, fill up a bag of beans and cheers to a delicious cup of coffee!