The Bushwick Food Coop is a member-owned and -operated food cooperative in the Bushwick/East Williamsburg area of Brooklyn, New York. As a socially and environmentally responsible organization, we strive to work with farms and businesses that are local, sustainable, fair-trade, organic, and ethical. We believe that bringing our neighborhood together around good food can strengthen community bonds, promote economic and cultural diversity, and increase overall health in Bushwick.
Our store is currently open six days a week, moving to seven days in 2015. As we grow, we are hiring a Spanish-speaking assistant/weekend manager, to work alongside our store managers to oversee store operations and train new members as they work in the store.
Primary Responsibilities and Duties
- Oversee store during open weekend hours and manage member workers. Expected starting schedule is 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday, with one or two additional shifts during the week. Total hours will be 20 to 36.
- Oversee store openings, closings, and clean-up.
- Oversee merchandising and store organization/cleanliness.
- Assist with new-member orientations.
- Working knowledge of the cooperative business structure and values.
- Demonstrate the desire to manage a mission-driven business and hold the Coop’s guiding principles in high esteem.
- Show exceptional organizational and leadership skills, including the ability to manage members with varying roles and levels of commitment.
- Have proficiency with Google Docs and Microsoft Word, and ability to create and manipulate basic spreadsheets using formulas in Microsoft Excel and other major programs.
- Availability to work 28 to 36 hours a week, including most weekends.
- Must be comfortable lifting heavy boxes and bags up to 50 pounds.
- Fluency in Spanish required, Bushwick residents preferred.
- One to two years in retail management or equivalent preferred.
- 21-plus years of age.
The Bushwick Food Cooperative is committed to offering a living wage. Hourly wage is $15 per hour, with the possibility of an increased salary at increased responsibility and management tasks.
Please provide a cover letter and your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. We are seeking to hire by May 1, and applications are accepted until the final candidate is hired.
The Bushwick Food Cooperative Incorporated is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to reflect the diverse communities we serve.